La Alma Lincoln Park Neighborhood Association
Monthly Meeting Minutes
Meeting took place at Greenlee Elementary School at 6:30 PM on Wednesday, February 22, 2017.
Attendee list: Available upon request.
DENVER POLICE DEPARTMENT, Officer Robert Gibbs, Robert.email@example.com
- Continued narcotics activity in Lincoln Park. Police engagement is happening at least weekly resulting in 8 to 10 felony arrests in the park this past month.
- Overall police staffing has improved city wide.
- Women’s self defense class is scheduled for March 18th at the Rude Rec Center.
- Please join us for our next Commander Advisory Group (CAG) meeting. These meetings are scheduled on the 3rd Monday of every month at 6pm at the District 1 community office, 1311 West 46th Avenue. Food and beverages are provided for attendees.
INTERNATIONAL MARKET FOR THE NEIGHBORHOOD – Michael Bevis, Dean, Emily Griffith Technical College (EGTC) Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Bevis, Dean at EGTC, provided a summary about EGTC. EGTC is the largest provider of ESL and citizen training in the Denver area.
- A part of that training often includes the entrepreneurship class the Professor Bevis teaches. This class often shares goals for international business.
- Current plans would create a space in the neighborhood, hopefully in some of the retail space at Mariposa, for a ‘shark tank’ type of operation which would culminate in new entrepreneurs the opportunity to win free seed money for their business.
- He is currently looking for a space to showcase foods, especially hot foods, indoors. Needs 1200+ sq feet of space.
- Several neighbors expressed support of this idea and indicated a desire to help.
- DHA indicated a need for an application for space in order to consider this option.
DENVER HOUSING AUTHORITY CONSTRUCTION UPDATE – Mark Howard, DHA email@example.com
- Mark was unable to attend so Ryan Tobin attended in his place. Ryan is the Director of Real Estate for DHA.
- Ryan provided some encouraging updates regarding the retail space with a possible restaurant at 10th and Navaho.
- My notes also indicated some type of resource center is planned for the remaining space.
- A grand celebration for Mariposa is scheduled for August 4th.
GREENLEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL UPDATE – Sheldon Reynolds, Principal, http://greenlee.dpsk12.org
- Greenlee Elementary in its current structure is closing due to being under required performance goals.
- This allowed for any qualified organization to submit a bid for the building. Principal Reynolds and his team have submitted a bid with a plan for Greenlee and its current student mix. They are competing with two charter schools for the option.
- Principal Reynolds provided a summary of their proposal. The neighbors voted unanimously to write a letter of support from the association for this proposal from Prinipal Reynolds and his team.
GO BOND CALL FOR ACTION FOR SANTA FE DRIVE IMPROVEMENTS – David Griggs and Aubrey Lavizzo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- LPNA and the Santa Fe BID are working together to lobby for traffic calming and beautifying improvements to Santa Fe Drive.
- As a part of this process, we have secured a walking tour with Mayor Hancock on March 10th at 2pm.
- In preparation for this tour, a clean up has been scheduled for March 4th, Saturday, at 10am. Please come out to help clean up Santa Fe for this event. Donuts and coffee will be served.
- For the walking tour, please meet at the Bill Daniels VOA Veteran’s Center at 2pm to show your support for this project.
OTHER BUSINESS –
- Other business deferred to next meeting due to time constraints.
Next meeting: Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 6:30pm, at Greenlee Elementary School.